Sunday, January 27, 2008

Week 30: Griffin filibusters

I was on vacation last week, so have no progress to report, but wanted to post to keep on my regular posting schedule. So I'll ramble on about the main design issue I'm struggling with.

I'm still waffling over exactly how much action and how much RPG I want in my action RPG.

Consider those knights I recently added. Currently, if you run into the sword side, you take a hit, and the knight is unharmed; if you run into any other side, the knight takes a hit and you are unharmed. This is an action-oriented gameplay mechanic [ADDED:] because you have to perform an action-gaming feat to win the battle.

There's another possibility that I've been thinking about a lot, but haven't (completely) implemented (yet). It would work like this: when you and the knight (or other attacking enemy) run into each other head-on, each combatant has a chance to hit the other and/or block the other's attack. I envision that you'd usually parry each other's attacks and bounce back, several times, until eventually one of you won the encounter, and the other took a hit and got knocked backwards.

If you hit the other from the side or back, you always make a hit.

This is a more RPG-type mechanic [ADDED:] because you don't have to perform any action-gaming task except running into the enemy, and can still win; it still has an action element in that outmaneuvering the enemy gives you an easier win. It makes the player's action skill much less important. It appeals to me. But I'm afraid it would wind up feeling like a MMORPG or FF12, only faster, which does not appeal to me. That's why I've been leaning more towards action-ish battles (more towards the Final Fantasy Adventure end than the Secret of Mana / Seiken Densetsu 3 end, to reference one of my touchstone series).

One complicating factor is that one of my sub-goals is to make an "Easy" level that really is easy -- easy enough to be accessible to non-gamers. Action gameplay is a major obstacle to that. I need to figure out ways to make it easy to win and progress even if the player has no skill for the action elements of the gameplay. So making it more RPG-like would help with that.

So. Waffling.

[edited 20080128 0710 to clarify what the heck I'm talking about]

No comments: