Sunday, February 3, 2008

Week 31: It's a game! It's an RPG!

I had some good, productive time this weekend. I put in a rudimentary ability-up system (just a plain-vanilla "level up" system, which is not what I want for the real game, but it works as a stand-in), which really made the whole thing come together much better and was a great morale-booster for myself. It now classifies as an actual RPG in my book. Sure, it's very short and simple, and the implied plot is, "Kill the slimes, then kill the red slimes, then kill the knights, then finally go and wipe out the horde of yellow slimes that's grown up in the meantime." But it's a genuine rudimentary action RPG, so it's an exciting milestone for me.

I also added a basic GUI display of the character's condition. Oh, and I also spent a couple of ultimately wasted hours messing with the collision detection, which I'd rather not discuss. >_< Also the yellow slimes now shoot at you rather than always to the right.

So for the contest, the game will definitely be just a long demonstration of the battle system, with as many additional things as I can fit in. At this point the "optional features" list includes things such as "people to talk to," "more than one weapon," and "plot."

Regarding publicity, I had a brainwave this afternoon (that seems embarrassingly obvious in hindsight). The other week I tried a few different video-sharing sites to choose which one to use. So today I logged in to Revver to check something technical. Lo, my test upload ("Knights") had 15 views, and I know those weren't all me. So, brainwave: Why don't I upload all of my videos to several sites? No need to choose only one. And -- hey! -- instead of assuming that everyone goes from this blog to the video, why don't I link from the videos back here too?

Finally, here's a full walkthrough video! Yay! (I'm embarrassed to admit that I got killed twice trying to take this video. I blame the lag caused by the video capture process. Actually, I think I forgot a setting on the knights so that they can hit you rapid-fire if you get stuck against a wall.)


Dev 4: A real, simple action RPG from Griffin Knodle on Vimeo.

Notes--
0:35 - I run because I'm not strong enough to fight the knights yet (did you see my 0 damage?).
2:40 - I'm beaten up enough that I go back to the red slimes before the knights get me.

No comments: