Sunday, March 23, 2008

Week 38: Slime and Boomerang

Kind of a slow go on Wings of Albero this week, not helped by some general time-wasting on my part. I added a new enemy, a slime, and the first item ability, a boomerang attack a la Legend of Zelda. And a couple of new functions that aren't worth talking about.

So now we have slimes. I wanted them to split when you hit them, but ran into some nasty problems with TGB's collision physics response. Once there were several slimes close together, when a new one got placed they'd all go flying around like crazy and sometimes warp through walls. Not good. There are a couple of ways I could work around it, but I'd already wasted a couple of hours messing with it and it wasn't worth it. So, no splitting enemies this game.

The boomerang is the first item you'll probably find, in the jail cave. It normally stuns enemies for a couple of seconds. Some such as the knights are immune to it. The slimes are weak to it and actually take high damage from it, whereas your other attacks aren't as effective against them. (This is my substitute way to make the slime type interesting now that the splitting idea is dropped.)

Now I just have to make a way for you to actually GET the boomerang, and I'll be ready to move on to shopping, arrows, healing abilities, and I'd better get started on the further areas of the game soon....

No comments: