Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Money

I've been thinking about ways to avoid that weird RPG tradition where everyone still charges you money even after it's clear that you're the only hope to save the world, etc. I've been thinking over systems where the villagers will help you for free, but you need to find the materials they need to make you equipment, potions, etc. Problem is, everything I've thought of so far is, on further review, either too restrictive to be interesting (you find some iron; would you like to use it to upgrade your sword, armor, or shield?) or functionally equivalent to money except more complicated and annoying to handle (you find an iron ingot and can turn it into some iron arrows or save up several for an iron sword, and also you find various herbs that you can turn into potions or save for magic training later, blah blah blah).

So enough. I'm now working on talking myself into giving myself permission to use a perfectly ordinary, perfectly serviceable money system. This sort of thing is difficult for me....

2 comments:

Dustin said...

You could have somebody make a comment about "labor's free for ya, bloke, but giving away the raw materials would bankrupt me." That'd give you a semi-plausible excuse.

Griffin said...

Yeah, that's pretty much the excuse I'm planning on using. They're poor and not allowed to make weapons so they have to make it in secret or smuggle it in, and after all, you're far from the first would-be hero who's come through, so they can't take a big chance on you.... ;)