Sunday, February 17, 2008

Week 33: Art takes a long time

So yeah, art takes a long time, even though I'm just doing pretty simple colored-in outlines. For the player character, it ran me about half an hour for each frame. Now, being the player, that was unusually complex and I spent unusually long fine-tuning details, and I'm sure it'll get faster as I get more practice and nail down my workflow ... but it's taken a long time so far. I'm now trying to figure out all the ways I can cut corners on art requirements (e.g. rather than a typical character having one standing frame and two or three walking frames, maybe I'll just have two walking frames always cycling (the classic NES RPG "guys walking in place")).

I'm pleased with the results so far, at least. It won't win any awards, but it's quite adequate.

There'll be a video along soon as soon as I get the first area all presentable. To hold you over, here's one of my art files for a sample. Yes, you're a standard spiky-haired hero. Why mess with success?

No comments: