Sunday, February 10, 2008

Week 32: Crunch time, crunch crunch

It's clear that it will be a near thing whether I can progress fast enough to start alpha testing next month on a reasonably complete game. This is despite having cut (well, "de-prioritized," let's say) a lot of features, and looking at probably losing some more. (For example, I really wanted to include a simple version of the flexible ability-up system I have in mind for the full game. But I'm realizing that it's just not as important as a lot of things I initially had prioritized lower. My stand-in "generic level-up" system is by no means bad if it comes to that.)

I'm currently hustling to get the first area put together with its real map, real enemies, and real graphics (that is, the best I can manage for a quick job -- hopefully they'll come out passable) for everything. I've got my three enemies acting right, subject to change. You've got the hoppy one, the stabby one, and the shooty one. (They're all currently recycling my existing animations, making them appear to be horrible misshapen shapeshifting knight-slime things, which is one reason I won't post a new video for a bit. Yes: I'm using my stand-in art as a stand-in for proper new stand-in art.)

I uploaded all of my videos to all of the several video sharing sites I've tried, as planned last week. Sure enough, they've each already picked up a dozen or so views from random people. I have no idea if anyone's clicked through to the blog from a video, much less started following the project. If you're such a person, welcome! Stick around, tell your friends, etc. This video thing really drove home to me that I have to get my art in order. I can write whatever disclaimer I like about stand-in art, but there's no substitute for a good impression.

Finally, yesterday I got my act together to set up proper version management for the project. (After getting mugged by the collision system the other week, I wanted to just roll back to my previous version. Fortunately, I could, from my manual backups, so it wasn't really even a close call, but it could have been troublesome if I'd had a larger problem.) I'm using Subversion, and liking it very well so far. Easy to set up and use, and seems efficient with operations and space usage. Shoulda done it a long time ago.

No comments: